Going green may be easier than you think
Many disparate ideas for running a green business exist – no one can employ them all! Building a strategy based on ecologically-sound practices customized for your business may be a better way to maximize your positive impact on the environment.
Tips for developing a green management strategy include:
- Audit your current practices, ranking in order of environmental impact and start with the biggest offenders.
- Specify measurable goals to see your efforts pay off.
- Assess your new vs. recycled and/or reused practices; determine where you can decrease use of new and disposable items.
- Simplify recycling; include a convenient means to safely dispose of dangerous items and chemicals.
- Invest in “smart” power strips that power themselves down; adopt the habit of turning off unnecessary lighting.
- Seriously consider allowing employees to work from home to reduce unnecessary commuting; cut back on business travel in favor of virtual meetings.
- Remember you’re not an island! Choose suppliers who walk the green walk too.
Want to learn more? Visit the Alpine Bank Green Initiative webpage.
About This Author