Renewable energy, efficient appliances and water savings add up to a more sustainable home
To live greener at home, implement green energy. Look into renewable power sources like solar panels, wind turbines, geothermal heat pumps and solar water heaters. While there may be governmental constraints where you live, there may also be incentives like tax credits or other financial rewards as well as local programs to make renewable energy installation easier.
Here are some additional energy- and water-saving tips:
- Efficient appliances can be purchased; look for the Energy Star rating.
- LED light bulbs are approximately 90% more efficient than incandescent light bulbs.
- Smart thermostats enable greater control over heating and cooling energy usage.
Reduce water usage
- Low-flow toilets use 50% less water; faucets and showerheads, 44% less.
- Use a dishwasher, instead of handwashing for ten minutes, and save 100 gallons of water per week.
- Landscaping with native plants reduces the need for watering.
About This Author