Workplaces can do their part in being kind to the environment. Some practices a business can easily adopt to make a positive environmental impact include:
- Avoid single-use items like paper plates and paper towels. If you must use them, compost them.
- Be vigilant about energy and water use. Turn off unnecessary lights and equipment.
- Use recycled paper; print only when necessary and on both sides of the page when possible.
- Set up a recycling center on site.
- Employ green office supplies that don’t create waste, or are reusable. Research to discover new ones you may not be familiar with.
- Keep equipment and facilities properly maintained for peak energy efficiency.
- When replacing equipment, purchase with efficiency in mind; donate or recycle old equipment.
- Make sure the building is adequately insulated.
- Ensure that cleaning supplies are environmentally safe.
- Switch from incandescent light bulbs to a more efficient choice. Lighter wall colors maximize workplace brightness.
- Use items made from recycled materials whenever possible.
These simple adaptations can make a huge difference!
About This Author